The department was established in July 2014 under the motivating and dynamic leadership of the Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor Prof. (Dr.) Som Nath Sachdeva. The department flourished under the illuminating guidance of renowned academicians like Dr. Bhim Singh Dahiya and Dr. Anand Parkash. The department was chaired by Prof. Awadhesh Kumar Sharma during the session 2014-15. Dr Jyoti Sheoran, chaired the department from Nov. 2015- June 2017. They created a fertile environment for academics and research through their zeal and tireless efforts. Being the hub of literary, cultural and linguistic studies, the department is the pulse of the university, and English being an interdisciplinary subject encourages the spirit of debate and intercultural discourse among the students. To ensure a sound critical environment for the students, and to enhance the skills of the students the department offers a wide range of activities like lectures, seminars and group discussions. Text based movies and documentaries are also shown to the students on a regular basis to make their understanding of the syllabus more comprehensive. Extension lectures are regularly organized.
- Dr. Jyoti Sheoran Associate Professor, Chairperson
- Ms. Pallavi, Assistant Professor
- Mrs. Mamta Rani, Assistant Professor
Department awarded M Phil Degree to following students in the year 2017:
|S. No||Roll No.||Name||Topic|
|1||1402||Rajni Saini||Mul Raj Anand’s Untouchable and Om Prakash Valmiki’s Joothan: A Study of Social Consciousness|
|2||1403||Monika Rani||Protagonist’s Quest for Identity: A Study of Jasmine and Desirable Daughters|
|3||1410||Anu Nagar||Intra and Interpersonal Conflicts in Novels of Shashi Deshpande: A Study of That Long Silence and The Dark Holds No Terror|
|4||1411||Monika Chahal||Arundhati Roy: Creative Writer as a Social Rebel|
The Department of English runs M.Phil Programme with 6 research scholars :
|S. No||Roll No.||Name||Topic|
|1||1403||Manisha||Social Realism in Novels of Kiran Desai: A Study ofInheritance of Loss andHullabaloo in the Guava Orchard|
|2||1405||Urmila||Confessionalism as an Element in Poetry of Kamla Das and Maya Angelou|
|3||1406||Rajesh Kumar||Malgudi as the Lifeline in Novels of RK Narayan: A Study of Swami and Friendsand The Vendor of Sweets|
|4||1407||Lalita||Ending as False Epiphany in Novels of DH Lawrence: A Study of Sons and Lovers and Women in Love|
|5||1408||Savan||Humanism in Poetry of Robert Frost and Walt Whitman|
|6||1409||Deepak Kumar||Social Activism in Mahashweta Devi’s Short Stories: A Study of “Salt: The Little Ones,” “Draupadi” and “Seed”|
Thrust Areas of Research: Feminism, Indian English Fiction, Comparative Literature, American Literature
Workshops held in the Department
- One day workshop on “How to Make Power Point Presentation for students of MA English” on 20/10/ 2015.Dr. Rachna Shrivastav from the Department of Management, CRSU, Jind was invited as the Resource Person.2. Three day Workshop on “Research Methodology” from 21 to 23 October, 2015 in which Dr. Rishipal, HOD, Department of Psychology, Amity University, Manesar, Gurgaon was invited as the Resource Person.
- One Week DGHE Sponsored National Workshop on “Soft Skills and Professional Grooming” form 8th June 2016 to 14thJune 2016. Eminent academicians and administrators were invited as resource persons.
- Three day workshop on “Research Methodology” for M.Phil students from 1/12/2016 to 3/12/2016. Prof. Rajesh Sharma, Prof. Loveleen Mohan and Prof. Pankaj Sharma from Panjabi University, Patiala, Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak and Chaudhary Devi Lal University, Sirsa respectively were invited as resource persons.
- One Day Workshop on “Phonetics, Transcription and Pronunciation on 17/3/2017. Dr. Ravi Bhushan from the Department of English, BPSMV, Sonipat was invited as the resource person.
The department is planning to start skill development courses such as one year diploma in translation and certificate course in communication skills.
Planning to organize an international seminar in Nov. 2017.
Planning to open Skill and Learning Resource Centre where students will get free of cost coaching for competitive exams.
Planning to start Ph.D .
Planning to start Journal of Department of English.
Career prospects of Masters in English Literature
A course in Masters in English literature offers a plethora of opportunities and one can work in diverse fields like Media and Journalism, Teaching and Research, Human Resource Management, Translation, Technical Writing, Publishing, Copywriting, Editing, Proof Reading, ESL, Travel and Hospitality Industry.